STEM Camps 2018: Small UAS / Drone Camp 1.0 (Session B)Aug 6, 2018 to Aug 10, 2018 Location: MVCC, Utica Campus & NY UAS Test Site
This camp will focus on UAS concepts that combine classroom training with hands-on experience. The classroom instruction will focus on the safety of use (FAA’s Know Before You Fly Initiative or Spire Drone's Drone Safety Guide) and scientific principles of flight. Students will assemble a quadcopter and learn the science of aerodynamics and radio-controlled vehicles. The hands-on approach contributes to students’ understanding of concepts, promotes discovery, and develops problem-solving skills. The activities in this program are designed to give students a competitive advantage to entering aviation fields by giving them a solid foundation of science, mathematics, and communication skills, and introducing them to cutting-edge aircraft technologies. The camp will close on Friday with a Capstone event where the students will fly their drone through an obstacle course. The camp has been designed to excite students’ interest in STEM, focusing on aviation and the high-growth field of unmanned aerial systems, and will introduce students to the local employment opportunities in UAS and aviation fields.
Topics covered include:
- Safety of use
- UAS concepts
- Promotion of discovery
- Scientific principles of flight
- Development of problem-solving skills
- Classroom training with hands-on experience
- Introduction to cutting-edge aircraft technologies
- Science of aerodynamics & radio-controlled vehicles
- Solid foundation of science, mathematics, & communication skills
- Introduction to local employment opportunities in UAS & aviation fields
SESSION A*: Monday, July 16 - Friday, July 20, 2018
SESSION B*: Monday, August 6 - Friday, August 10, 2018
Time: Monday - Thursday, 9 am - 4 pm & Friday, 9 am - 12 pm
Cost: $100; Scholarships available
Age Group: Ages 14-18
Max Class Size: 20 students
Class location will depend on the day, however, parents will pick up their child at the location they dropped them off on that given day. The following are the Drop off and Pick up locations:
- Day 1 – NY UAS Test Site Operations Center (Rome)
- Day 2 - 4 – MVCC sUAS Lab (Utica Campus, Academic Building, Room AB220)
- Day 5 – NY UAS Test Site Nose Dock (Past Bernie Bus, Rome)
*PLEASE TAKE NOTE: There are two (2) sessions of the same camp, offered on different dates. Please choose your desired week, when registering.
Children can only participate in those camps designed for their age group.
There are no exceptions.
Where a grade is stated rather than an age, your child must be entering that grade this Fall.